Out of the Well: A Frogs-Eye-View of China and the World

Random Jottings on China, History, Culture, and Life as seen by an American student in Beijing.

Saturday, November 19, 2005

KFC Commercial

I am not a fantastic monitor of the Chinese media, so I don't really know how much they think about the Avian flu. It does seem to be a big enough deal that Kentucky Fried Chicken has released new commercials to deal with any anti-poultry backlash.

The commercial starts with the generic close ups of delicious glistening chicken pieces and wings which in America would no doubt be accompanied by an incredibly annoying voice describing of the foods many delicious qualities. The new Chinese commercial features a soft calming voice and the slogan "anquan... weisheng... meiwei" (safe... sanitary... delicious...)

This lovely reassurance is followed by footage of a factory with dozens of people in bright white clothes, face masks and gloves performing some sort clean butchering process via a conveyor belt. Now I am psyched that their factories are clean, but I am struck by the fact that this image might not play so well in the states. I mean we all know that fast food, and most other food is factory processed, but I can't imagine a US ad company wanting to remind us of it.

1 Comments:

At November 23, 2005 10:19 AM, Blogger Mark said...

Ha! I love their advertising. I put a video of one KFC's funniest ads up on my site.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home