Out of the Well: A Frogs-Eye-View of China and the World

Random Jottings on China, History, Culture, and Life as seen by an American student in Beijing.

Friday, July 29, 2005

Sympathy for the RMV photographer

The organization I work for decided last spring that all of it's doctors should wear the same lab coats, and that these lab coats should be equipped with a loop from which to hang their snazzy ID Badges. The only problem was, they had no snazzy ID badges. That's where I come in. I just spent the last month searching a fairly disorganized collection of professional photographs our doctors and nurses, and turning them into fancy ID Badges. So far, this was a great job. I got to manage a database, do new and interesting work every day, and generally have had a good time doing it.

This week I began phase two of my job. The rest of my summer will be spent traveling taking not-so-professional pictures of the rest of the staff. It seems that if you don't have a degree affixed to the end of your name, it doesn't matter if you look like hell on your ID. That is not to say I am a bad photographer, it's just that I am in a less than ideal situation.

I spent the day photographing a series of very nice people, most of whom wanted nothing to do with me. No one likes the guy taking their picture if it wasn't their idea to have it taken. A large number of people also believe that they look better if they do not smile. This is a fantasy. You always look better smiling. You always look better smiling.

I have gained sympathy for the photographers at the Registry of Motor Vehicles (as we call it here in the great state of Massachusetts). It is not their fault if the picture on your drivers license sucks, it is yours.

Ah well, things are looking up anyway. Sarah seems to have gotten herself a job. In fact she will be in the same organization as I am. Perhaps she will smile when I take her picture.

Happy weekend all...

1 Comments:

At July 31, 2005 8:04 PM, Blogger Meredith said...

I hate pictures of me smiling. I loathe them. I didn't used to. For a while I had a fairly nice smile. I don't know what happened to it. But just for the record, when I have to have my picture taken, I normally pretend that I'm not self-conscious about it and smile anyway. And then I hate the picture.

And one other thing: that picture of you. You aren't exactly smiling...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home