Out of the Well: A Frogs-Eye-View of China and the World

Random Jottings on China, History, Culture, and Life as seen by an American student in Beijing.

Friday, July 01, 2005

So, I just graduated with a degree in history. I spent the last few months of my life convinced that I wanted to go on to a degree in Chinese history and devote my life to the study of early seventeenth century East Asia. I was all set for the life of the mind. Now I am out in the wider world and my options seem a little more open. I am not saying that I don't want to study history, but perhaps I want to do something more practical. Perhaps I want to use my interest in China for business purposes, or maybe I do want to continue in academia, but study something more recent. Either way, I have until sometime before next spring to make up my mind if I want to go to some sort of grad school.

So what is the plan for now until then? This summer I am working for a successful business in suburban Boston. Surprisingly, life in the office, though tedious at times, is not so bad. Starting in September, I will be in an intensive language program in Beijing. This Blog will serve as a chronicle of these two different experiences and how they affect the decisions I will make for next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home